Sonyluvsbooks

Sony Luvs Books

Books are the most portable past time you can go on an adventure, fall in love, and save the world. The best kind of story is those that linger in your head days after you've finished the book. And that's what reading is for me the search for the next book that lingers in my head.

Level 2 (Memory Chronicles)

Level 2 - Lenore Appelhans Three levels. Two loves. One choice. And the place that exists between our world (Level 1) and what comes after life (Level 2). This is the concept behind Debut novelist Lenore Appelhans new series the Memory Chronicles. Level 2 is the first book it was..... promising? Level 2 was really good. I know why I sound surprised but that's not my intention because many is the case when vetting a debut author's first novel it can go either way.What has me falling in love with writer Appelhans's writing is how thoroughly developed the world of Level 2 was -- a world of hives and plug in humans, security drones. The Blockbuster movie concept of renting other people's memories was an original twist I hadn't encountered before. Even the way Felicia's character is slowly revealed to us in her memories. We get both perspectives of Felicia's life in Level 1 through her memories. That are rich and full the reader experiences it as Felicia did without getting that flashback feeling. Yet the contrast between her memories which are alive with color verses life in level 2 which is stark white and antiseptic.I liked the relationship between Felicia and Julian it comes across more real than Felicia and Neil, but that's just me. The characters were interesting. And the memories were the best part of the story for me. Level 2 had a nice flow I started reading in the late afternoon and finished the next day. That's always a plus as far as I'm concerned. What I liked about Level 2 aside from the writing was the unspoken intrigued that lingered in the background hinting as much in Felicia's distrust of Julian, the Morati, the prisoners hooked on their memories like junkies. And I keep getting this bad feeling that somehow Neil figures into this maybe as a bad guy in the next book.What left a bad taste in my mouth was the character of Neil after awhile the constant association be it memory or just Felicia mentioning Neil's name. I felt like Felicia romanticized him to the point he was too good to be true. After all our memories can be influenced and even distorted such is the nature of the human mind. She's dead and the thought of Neil helped passes the time. So when he shows up in Level 2 I don't know what I expected. I can't help but feel somehow this is going to bite Felicia in the butt in Book 2. Level 2 was nicely written, with a good flow and promising plot lines for book 2. Aside from that I'm in love with Lenore's writing so I gave Level 2 a 4/5. 4/5