Sonyluvsbooks

Sony Luvs Books

Books are the most portable past time you can go on an adventure, fall in love, and save the world. The best kind of story is those that linger in your head days after you've finished the book. And that's what reading is for me the search for the next book that lingers in my head.

Early to Death, Early to Rise (Madison Avery, Book 2)

Early to Death, Early to Rise - Kim Harrison This my second attempt with this series I really liked the idea and I’m a fan of writer Harrison’s adult series but I just couldn’t get into ETDETR. Which is a shame because I really, really wanted to like this series. Reading the synopsis it pumps you and you can’t wait to read what happens. The premise I liked the whole good and evil power struggle and the twist our protagonist is the dark time-keeper. The dynamic of her as the new boss coming in and trying to change the system for the better.The resistance causes some interesting moments because everyone else essentially has this ‘if it aint broke why fix it’ attitude. It’s how its been done since time began blah blah. I was expecting more interesting conflict because two opposing forces butting heads you think explosions. The characters are evolving shaped by their previous experiences and coming to terms with the events that happened at the end of the previous book. And consequences of their decisions are addressed–new characters enter and so on. The writing is great even the concept.Still I just couldn’t get into to this series into every reader’s life occasionally a book comes along that doesn’t leave an impression for me it seems to be this series. Madison, bless her is so vanilla trying so hard to com-by-ya everyone and give people the choice she never got blinded her I think, because she was clearly in over her head trying to go against the Goliath of a system that been in place since creation. Madison lacks that bit of fire that memorable characters embody, it’s not her fault though she’s a good girl that had something crazy happen to her. She hasn’t been seasoned yet by years of being on the job. I’d say check back with her character in ten years then we can see how life has shaped her.One issue I have to mention is Josh he’s suppose to be her love interest crush whatever. He’s hardly in here I mean at the end of the first book it was looking like the love triangle would be between him and Barnabas now i’m confused this Paul guy is in the mix is it going to be a square-angle in the next book, hum.The Madison Avery trilogy is finally starting to take shape there are many directions the plot for book three can go. I gave it a 3.5 Let me explain why, reading is all about enjoyment and getting lost in the book. And as much as I liked the story I couldn’t get into it. My rating reflects that aspect I honestly couldn’t sit here and give it a four rating (even though it may deserve it). Because I couldn’t make that connection with the main character which is part and parcel of any good reading experience. So short and sweet just like the book that’s my rating. I would recommend borrowing this one from the library if you’re curious. And if your opinion differs from mine and you love-like this book you can add to your personal library. 3.5/5