Sonyluvsbooks

Sony Luvs Books

Books are the most portable past time you can go on an adventure, fall in love, and save the world. The best kind of story is those that linger in your head days after you've finished the book. And that's what reading is for me the search for the next book that lingers in my head.

The Iron King (Iron Fey Series #1)

The Iron King (Iron Fey Series #1) - The Iron King is among a small number of faerie based books I’ve read. And also has the distinction of being among the very few I’ve liked. For me what sold me one the book was the characters Puck—Meagan’s mysterious friend, the cold as as ice Ash to name a few. The world and mythology I could tell a lot of thought was put into constructing it. The reference to a Midsummer’s dream with the Summer Court its description reminded me of a painting. The winter Court however was the definition of cold still there was beauty in the ice. Writer Kagawa blended these opposing worlds seamlessly each with it’s own townsfolk strange, magical and dangerous from both Courts.Megan and I had a love hate relationship I loved the fact she was brave enough to push ahead into a world that frightened her to save her brother. And disliked her when she made what I thought were stupid decision. The ice was melting from Ash’s heart as they worked in a common goal to defeat a mutual enemy. The sub plots that form along the journey Ash’s discomfort with his attraction to Megan, Puck’s sacrifice kept the story intriguing but the dips in pace lowered my rating.Now to explain my three and half star rating as great of premise as The Iron King was it lost points for few cracks in the story. Using the plot device of a changeling as the catalyst to send Megan on the journey in search of her real brother. Was kinda well and the fact she left it behind with her mother after it tried to hurt her was never addressed made me scratch my head. The build up to confrontation of The Iron King I was expecting this imposing scary as hell badass mofo but what I got was disappointing. All this is ground building and the end is so abrupt leaving many questions for book and peak my curiosity enough to want to read book 2.