Sonyluvsbooks

Sony Luvs Books

Books are the most portable past time you can go on an adventure, fall in love, and save the world. The best kind of story is those that linger in your head days after you've finished the book. And that's what reading is for me the search for the next book that lingers in my head.

Shadowland (Mediator Series #1)

Shadowland - Meg Cabot The Mediator series, I've heard a lot about it read a few reviews and here we are me doing my review on it. Getting pass the hype was tough and reading the book without any high expectation. But I shouldn't have worried. I found myself peaking ahead quite often because I couldn't wait to find out what happened next. I know it's bad form skipping ahead i'll admit curiosity got the best of me, but I drew the line at flipping to the end and ruining the surprise.Susannah was a very relatable character I saw some of myself in her which made me want to invest in her story. I think it was cool she could talk to ghost, which brings us to the beginning. Susannah is introduced as the new kid recently transplanted from New York to San Francisco with her new blended family. Being the new kid sucks what sucks more being haunted by the dead girl you've replaced at your new exclusive private school, fun times. For the first time in her life Suze has siblings which is awkward and their relationship is stiff but she's taking all these changes as well as to be expected. I love the idea behind this series a girl who can talk to ghosts and help them or send them packing into the after life when need too. But the blemish is plot pacing dips often and though the second half of the book is shaky the story was compelling, even with the anticlimactic ending. A few things made my head scratch a little, first was the whole business of how Susannah got accepted to the prestigious "exclusive" private school. Isn't really clearly explained I mean wasn't money tight, and the only reason they could afford the big house they live was because it was haunted, no one wanted to live there, maybe I missed something. Suze's mother who is sweet but clueless or in denial about what her daughter can do, her attitude forces Suze to lie to her. If it wasn't for Jesse to talk to I don't know how she would deal. I think the whole siblings deal feels like an add on to move the story in certain places forward. But maybe as I read the rest of the series that will change. I would recommend this book if you're a fan of paranormal , fantasy or books with ghosts. I gave it a three and a half out of five the reason its the first book in the series. So most energy seemed to have been spent in establishing the world and its mythology, the characters, which the story suffered a few cracks for that benefit. Hopefully book 2 will be much better.excerpt on bloghttp://sonythebooklover.com/2012/05/shadowland-review/#more-4367