Sonyluvsbooks

Sony Luvs Books

Books are the most portable past time you can go on an adventure, fall in love, and save the world. The best kind of story is those that linger in your head days after you've finished the book. And that's what reading is for me the search for the next book that lingers in my head.

Croak

Croak (Croak, #1) - Gina Damico *Spoiler Alert ahead*When I read the synopsis it read a little like dead like me the same dark comedic theme with a some difference of course. I think that’s why I gravitated to this book kind reminded me of the show, big fan. Because I’m not one to fall in love with a book without reading at least the first page. But I fell in love with the concept. Humans who are “not dead” charged with reaping souls and get this the qualifications for the job being a teenage hooligan of course. I loved all the characters as I read I could kinda see their own version of Scooby Doo gang being formed as they debated how to find who was behind the mysterious deaths. Ferbus the IT guy, Sofi intelligence and so on.The world of Croak was so cool I could imagine it in my mind. There is an answer to explain how everything works from Jellyfish powered death detection, to the use of spider venom to make amnesia spray to mind wipe lost tourist. As well as the spider’s web (the strongest stuff in the universe) is used to make vessels to carry the souls in isn’t that neat. Corpp’s the best bar in all the Grimsphere won an award and serves up this drink called Yorick. From the description of what a Yorick tasted like made me want to taste one. The after life is depicted in such a ridiculously funny, really did I just see that way it nothing short of comical as figures of history are named dropped among them. Edgar Allen Poe who referred to Teddy Roosevelt as a jerk. While musing over the fact Mozart has his own planet as his after life (you see your after life can be whatever you imagine), to Emily Dickinson crying all over the place. And the dead Presidents the welcome wagon for the newly dead was just absurd but it worked. It’s all these cool touches that make books magic and encourages you to turn to the next page.continued...http://sonythebooklover.com/2012/04/croak-review/#more-3907